Say NO to copper mining in the headwaters of Montana's Smith River

Comments Reviews on theboatpeople.com Raft Cataraft Inflatable Kayak Products and Service Forums Environmental News Say NO to copper mining in the headwaters of Montana's Smith River

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lee Arbach TBP
    Keymaster

Smith River Montana Brown Trout say no to copper mining

Say NO to copper mining in the headwaters of Montana’s Smith River

Montana’s renowned Smith River is threatened by a proposed underground copper mine along and underneath Sheep Creek, one of its major headwaters tributaries. If the mine is built, it has significant potential to degrade the Smith’s water quality. It could also destroy a treasured wild trout fishery through acid mine drainage, contamination with toxic heavy metals, nutrient pollution, and drying up critical fish habitat.

The Smith is one of the most cherished rivers in Montana and generates $10 million annually for fishing outfitters and surrounding communities. This mine is not worth the risk.

Take Action: Ask Montana Governor Steve Bullock to protect the Smith River by directing his state agencies to withhold any permits for the mine unless it can be developed in a manner that eliminates any possibility of degrading the river’s water quality and wild trout fishery.

Sign

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.